Last Sunday (December 1st) was not only my birthday, but it also marked my 6th anniversary as the pastor of First United Methodist Church Missouri City. I have spent the last couple of weeks reflecting on the previous 6 years. I even spent time going back through old sermon series that I have preached since that 1st Sunday.
Part of being a huge baseball fan is having a love for numbers and statistics. So, I thought it would be fun to look at some of the statistics from the last 6 years:
- I have preached 268 sermons (usually times 3).
- I have been honored to officiate 110 funerals.
- I have been able to experience God’s grace by performing 82 baptisms.
- I have been part of confirming 57 young people and have received 172 new members into the life of FUMCMC.
- I feel the need to apologize for ruining Christmas for some of you by teaching that we don’t know how many magi came to see Jesus AND that they didn’t arrive on Christmas morning.
- I miss the staff that have moved on to other positions and opportunities.
- I am thankful for our church staff, who work hard to make a difference in the Kingdom of God.
- I am thankful that FUMCMC is a church that is truly an inclusive and diverse congregation. I love that I can look out on the congregation every Sunday morning and get a glimpse of what heaven is going to look like.
- But I am sad because we are inclusive and diverse some have chosen to leave our community.
I look forward as we work and serve together in the coming year!